Tuesday 19 November 2013

Non-Diegetic sound practical task

This short sound clip is an experimentation with creating a soundtrack for our psychological horror film opening, inspired by the American Horror Story soundtrack.


  • The software I used was 'GarageBand.'
  • I first of all used the software to create a simple melody in minor key using a string instrument, to set the negative tone of the track.
  • I used other 'synth' instruments to create unnatural sounds.
  • The static sounds that can be heard were created by blowing air or scraping against the microphone.
  • I also recorded breathing and humming sounds and manipulated them:

  • On one of the duplications, I lowered the pitch. After recording the sound of breathing/the humming sound, I duplicated the recording two times.
  • On the second duplication, I made it a higher pitch.
  • To all three of the recordings, I added a 'reverb' effect, to add the the 'unnatural' sound.





Overall, I feel that the task had a decent outcome.  However, unless I further pursue soundtrack creation to achieve more effective results, using uncopyrighted music that has already been created would have a better outcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment