Wednesday 6 November 2013

Experimenting with Bokeh

What is Bokeh?

The word Bokeh comes from the japanese term 'boke' which means blur or haze. Bokeh has been describe to be the way a lens renders out of focus points of lights. Bokeh occurs when parts of the scene captured lie outside the depth of field. Depth of field is the distance between the nearest and furthest objects giving a focused image.

Bokeh in Movies
The Awakening (2011)
Drive (2011)

Testing Bokeh




  • In this video clip I wanted to achieve the basic bokeh effect. 
  • To do this I switched my camera from autofocus to manual focus and then adjusted the focus for it to be unfocused on my camera to achieve the blurred circles of light.
  •  I have not used a subject here because I wanted to focus on the blurred effect.
  • This could be used in our film opening as a manual camera effect.
  • We could use this effect in a night shoot if there are street lights and car lights etc.


Inspiration for Custom Bokeh

Light Works from Supernormals on Vimeo.


  • I came across this video on vimeo which took on a twist to the typical bokeh lighting effect used in photography and film which instead of shapes used words instead. 
  • With this in mind I thought it would be an interesting concept to consider to use for the titles of our film opening.



No comments:

Post a Comment