Sunday 3 November 2013

Manipulating Text

I practiced manipulating text using an online photo editor called Pixlr. First I opened a new image and chose the font I wanted for the typography.


I then used different tools to manipulate the text and make it look more disturbing as this typography is supposed to be used in a psychological horror film. For example I used a blur tool to create slight shadows around the font and blur the edges slightly so it was more interesting to look at than plain text on a stark background. 


I decided to experiment with more tools to make the font look different but still eye catching, such as using bloat and pinch tools to manipulate the shape of the font extremely. I felt this particular manipulation was effective for typography used for psychological horror because the text looks warped and strange, which conveys the genre accurately.

I also used tools such as the sponge and drop tool to fade the colour of the text. This manipulation made the text look shadowy and sinister while still retaining the original shape of the letters, creating juxtaposition between the harsh font and the softer colour of the text. However I felt this manipulation was not very effective and looked quite amateurish. 



I faced some difficulties during this practical as I do not have much experience with photo editors and found this particular editor difficult to use. It took me a lot of time to work out how to use the tools and what their purposes were and so my manipulations were quite basic. 


No comments:

Post a Comment