Wednesday 4 December 2013

Film Production: Fonts and Layout

My goal for our production company titles was to look modern, sleek and stylish. But doing so I experimented with several different fonts and layout which would project my desires. Here are several outcomes below:

Font: Futura
Left line
Gradual descent of words
Spaced out letters 

  • What I like about this idea is it is very sleek and projects quite a professional feel with the use of the 'Futura' font
  • I personally really like the spaced out letters along with the gradual descent of words. It is very pleasing to the viewer's eyes and easy to read. This is one of the better ideas.





Font: Blackout Sunrise
Left line
Gradual descent of words
Spaced out letters 

  • I'm not too sure about the font 'Blackout Sunrise'. The font works really well but it doesn't project the professional look I was hoping for.
  • The layout is the same as before, gradual descent which I still really enjoy.





Font: Futura
Centred 
Spaced out lines
Varying spaced out letters 


  • Again I have used the font 'Futura' which does seem to fit the profile of 'professional'
  • With this idea I experimented with a different layout which is more central. I achieved this look though the use of spacing out words and letters. The overall result is really pleasing and one of the better ideas.






Font: Code
Centred 
Gradual descent of words - triangle form
Spaced out letters 


  • Here I have used the font 'Code' which is very modern and sleek but maybe too on the thin side and needs to be bolder. But still projects a very professional look.
  • The layout has been centred which created this triangle effect which is quite interesting and unique.



Creating a background:

For the background I had the idea to create something that looked quite professional and interesting

What I used to create the production company background:

  • Macro Lens
  • Water
  • Old CD
By using a macro I will be able to get an extreme close up of the light reflections on the CD compared to using the standard 18-55mm lens on my camera. Below is an example of the keyboard on my computer without and with the macro lens to show the difference between the two.

without macro lens                                                                                      with macro lens


  • To create the effect for the background I put the CD in a sink and turned the tap on to run on the CD which when met with light created this interesting rainbow effect.
  •  I thought would be perfect for a production company background as it provides some movement but enough to distract the viewer's attention away from the production company's name.
  • When editing an idea for the production company titles I adjusted the levels and altered other aspects of the video's properties such as contrast, saturation and white point to create the final product. 
  • By doing this I brought out the colours within the videos more making it more vibrant. 

Below are the before and after images of the video under going visual editing.
Before                                                                                                      After

Final Idea Outcomes




  • Black and white - simple yet classic colour scheme
  • The font and layout add to the classy theme 


  • Vintage feel yet very modern with the use of text
  • Deep red and hint of purple and green - fits with this idea of 'horror' in which we are using for our film opening



  • Purple colour scheme with subtle tones of pink and blue throughout
  • Very simple yet stylish and modern background and font


Overall I am very pleased with the outcomes of these ideas. My personal preference if I were to use these ideas would be either the first idea (#1) or the last idea (#3). I find that the use of the 'Futura' font is the most practical as it very modern and geometric providing a very professional aspect to the production company titles.

No comments:

Post a Comment