Sunday 5 January 2014

Recording Sounds

I experimented with recording sounds to add to our footage during the editing process to emphasise particular sounds that may not be audible in the footage. I recorded these sounds with household items on my phone.




I created this sound by taking a knife out of my cutlery drawer and scraping it against the metal inside of the drawer as I did so. This sound could be used in a scene where our antagonist sharpens his tools, or removes them from their hiding place. I recorded this sound in my kitchen, so there was some noticeable background noise that interfered with the recording and so it was not very effective.



I recorded myself turning the pages in a notebook to create this sound, which would be used in a scene where our antagonist looks through his diary that contains photos and information about past victims. This recording was the most successful as there is no background noise interfering with the sound and it sounds authentic.




The last sound was created by rustling the branches of my Christmas tree, as every time I tried to record bushes and trees in an outdoors setting there was natural background noise that interfered with the recording. This sound would be used in the stalking scenes of our opening, where the antagonist follows her victims before she kills them. The tree I used was ineffective as it made a different sound to bushes and foliage being moved around and rustled, so this recording was not successful. There is also background noise as I recorded this in my living room and there were other people present.

Evaluation
The recordings are not of the best quality because:

  • My phone was the only device I had that could record audio
  • There is background noise in two of the recordings
  • They might not sound authentic
To improve, next time I should ensure that there is as little background noise present as possible so the sound in the recordings is not distracted from. I should also find another device that records sound in a higher quality.

No comments:

Post a Comment