Thursday 17 October 2013

Evaluation of footage

Inconsistencies

  • When reviewing the footage from the shoot I notice inconsistencies within the clips. 
  • Our stalker/killer in some of the shots were wearing a black backpack and in others not.
  • With these inconsistencies along with several over factors I don't think we should use the footage that was taken in the shoot.

Blurred


  • As well as the inconsistencies, a lot of the shots were blurred
  • The reason for the blurred images was that the subject had moved out of focus where the lens had been focused to. An example of this is in the first image.
  • In the second image, I had used a macro lens as a standard 15-35mm lens couldn't focus up that close. However I hadn't focused the lens properly due to the awkward position I was in to get the shot. However if I had focused it properly the close up shot would be good as the subject would be in focus and the concrete surroundings blurred.
Poor Lighting


  • Due how fast the sun set we weren't left we much light to work with so most of the clips came out with heavy shadows
  • The only source of lighting we had was the streetlights which left the footage to have an orange tint due the tungsten light.
  • The use of tungsten light is actually quite good for setting the scene however when we are to reshoot I would change the light settings to tungsten lighting instead of the standard lighting setting.
  • Below is an example of what the setting will change. It will allow the colours in shot to come through instead of being tinted orange.

Original (Standard)                                                                                    Tungsten Light

Change settings


  • In the shoot I didn't alter the settings of the camera to the scene which was dim with a lack of light.
  • Before I reshoot the next footage I will go out and experiment with the the different setting to find the optimum one for the final shoot.
  • When I do go out I will be changing the aperture and ISO to find which work with the lighting conditions best.
  • One of the main issues with the first shoot was that the ISO setting was on automatic which meant it allowed the camera to record in ISOs above 800/1600 and above leading the footage to be grainy and blurred. Examples of the grainy footage are above. 
  • When I shoot next time I will use an ISO of 400 or below, which won't be as grainy.
  • Next time I film I will shoot in 1920x1080 24fps instead of 1280x720 50fps as this will increase the quality of the footage.


Good Shots


  • When reviewing the footage that was filmed there were several shots that were good 
  • In the first image, a still, is a tracking shot of the victim walking over the bridge. This was a particularly good shot due to its framing. The frame capture her surroundings yet the blurred surroundings brings the subject further into focus
  • The second image, even though the lighting is really poor, is nice as the light catches the victim's hair bringing more definition to the subject. However the problem is that the shot is poorly lit.

Scene Shots



  • Besides footage of the Stalker and their Victim I captured some of the surrounding in order to set the scene.
  • In the first image I used a tilt to establish the scene as well as another clip in which I pan the top of the bridge.
  • In the second image I shot the running stream in which the Stalker and Victim pass over. I particularly like this shot due the streetlight reflecting off the water.

Correcting Light

Before                                                                                                           After

  • When reviewing the footage I thought I could try and correct the lighting in the shot.
  • I played around with the colour levels and came up with the image above.
  • I particulary don't like the outcome as I feel it drains all the colour out of the clip and makes the clip also look sepia.
Conclusion

  • Overall I'm disappointed with the outcome of the shoot due to the reasons above.
  • I will need to reshoot the scenes.
  • Before I do reshoot I must experiment with the different camera settings in the lighting we are to use in our final footage. This means I will go out at roughly 4:00 to 4:30 to try out the different settings.
  • However I am glad I did do this first shoot because I now roughly know what kind of angles and shots I should use which will speed up the filming process next.





No comments:

Post a Comment