Wednesday 9 October 2013

Practical Source of Inspiration

Inspiration


Here, I have chosen the opening from 'American Horror Story' as my inspiration in terms of editing and mise en scene. Kyle Cooper, the maker of the opening sequence has perfectly captured an unsettling and intimidating atmosphere. I think this opening sequence would be perfect to inspire our film opening if we opted for the genre of Psychological Horror.

Experimenting

Inspired by the 'American Horror Story' opening I created a response with a similar theme to the opening. I set the sequence in my garage as it fitted with the dark, eerie atmosphere of the one in which the opening was set. In the sequence I used a Canon digital SLR camera to record and tripod, I also used the torch on my iPhone to create a flashing effect just like the one in the 'American Horror Story' opening. In terms of mise en scene I used various props such as fake blood, a saw and a biblical hanging piece which I found to create a very chilling ambience as though something sinister had happened e.g. a murder. In the process of this task I experimented with different camera angles and movements such as panning, high angles, hand-held etc. I feel that the opening of 'American Horror Story' will be of great inspiration for giving a very mysterious and strange quality to our film opening if we were to make a psychological horror film. Overall in terms of the editing I used simplistic straight cuts as it was the predominant one used in the opening. I do feel that this response could have been improved due to it being slightly rushed.


My Strengths

My strengths that I can use to help with my media coursework is knowledge of using a camera and knowing angles would be best suited. As well as this I can provide creativity and imagination, for example to help create imaginative story lines and come up with different techniques to take something quite boring and turn it into something quite interesting. Another strength would be my basic knowledge of using editing software and music software.

No comments:

Post a Comment