Wednesday 9 October 2013

Practical Source of Inspiration

I was inspired by the special effects makeup used on Edward Norton to create bloody cuts and bruises in this still image from the film Fight Club (1999):



After seeing this image I decided to create similar special effects (specifically a fresh black eye and a cut) with cosmetic makeup on a model.


 



For the black eye I layered purple and dark red lipstick over the eye area to make the wound look fresh and used black and dark brown eyeshadow on the outer edges to create a bruising effect.


For the cut I put a thick strip of eyelash glue on the model's cheek. When it started to dry, I used a toothpick to pick the centre apart. This made the edges of the glue raised like the edges of a cut.



 After the glue had dried fully, I filled the centre with a dark purple lipstick and a red lipstick. To make the wound look more realistic I applied a dark brown eyeshadow and a clear gloss on top to simulate a fresh cut just starting to heal.



My strengths:

  • I have created special effects makeup before so I have experience
  • I was able to work with limited supplies in a short amount of time
Difficulties I faced:
  • Special effects makeup was not available to me so I had to use cosmetic makeup
  • I had a limited amount of time to create this makeup


No comments:

Post a Comment